For those of you not at the AGM last February, Paula has now stepped down as Members Secretary (having done a great job for 4 years) and I’m the newbie on the Committee. This is my first newsletter to you in my new role, so here goes…
AGM 15th February 2019 – looking back
41 members attended the AGM and following the formalities of the meeting itself, everyone enjoyed a relaxing informal buffet. Detailed minutes will be circulated later in the year but in the meantime here are the key points raised by the Committee, looking back over the past year:
Annual Report – Ed Smyth
Ed opened the meeting by thanking all members who have contributed to the Club’s continuing success over the year.
- A new GDPR policy was set up following May 2018 legislation. This will be reviewed annually
- The Club’s website was re-worded and up-dated (many thanks to James for overseeing)
- The walk brief was updated to include safety guidelines
Financial Report – Neville Carr
- Neville talked through the accounts for 2018 and the budget for 2019
- The Club remains in an overall healthy position
Walks Report – Pauline Ziman
- Numbers for 2018 were slightly up on the previous year. The Christmas walk proved very popular (thanks James & Toots for refreshments!) and 29 members attended the Summer Charity Walk (thanks Jan & Steve for hosting the BBQ)
- Members enjoyed some fairly brisk early summer evening walks in 2018. Although these didn’t attract any new members to the club, we’ll be scheduling some more summer evening walks in 2019.
- Alice stepped down after 16 years as a walk leader and was thanked for leading so many wonderful and informative walks, and for her hard work and contributions to the club over the years.
Holidays and Weekends Report – Sarah Andrew
- March 2018: Badia, Italian Dolomites
- April 2018: Beddgelert, Snowdonia
- June 2018: Lake Bled, Slovenia
- September 2018: Glaramara, Keswick
Members / Events Report – Paula Ford
- Charity walk and BBQ: a very warm day for walking, followed by a lovely relaxing afternoon, thoroughly enjoyed by all!
- New Year meal at Willington Hall: again, a very enjoyable event.
- Members and Membership cards: distributed to all members. Included on cards – on-line shopping discount code for Cotswold Outdoor / Snow and Rock / Cycle Surgery / Runners Need
- GDPR update: thanks to all who responded requesting permission to store personal details on the OHWC’s site
Looking Forward – 2019/20
We now have 70 active members and it’s been an excellent start to 2019 – a total of 113 members have enjoyed walking so far this year.
Summer Evening Walks
We’ll be holding 4 mid-week summer evening walks which we hope will appeal to OH members who attend the gym in the evening as well as our current members. More information will be sent out nearer the time but the dates and places are below so that you may make a note of them.
|Frodsham & Helsby Hills (Caroline)
|Eddisbury, Old Pale & Blakemore Moss (Pauline)
|Peckforton Circular (Jan)
|Bryn Alyn (Steve)
As with last year, walks will start at 6pm and be subject to a £1 walk fee. More details will be on the website in due course and look out for flyers at the gym.
Daytime Mid-week Walks
Pauline has already circulated information about these informal, more ‘spontaneous’ walks . Rather than setting out a formal timetable for these, those who have expressed an interest in daytime walking on a Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday, will be notified just a few days beforehand about the location and length of the walk. If you’re interested in joining these walks but you haven’t responded to Pauline’s email, please do get in touch with her so she can include you on the mailing list.
The Wainwrights project is entering its 6th year and some of our members are well on their way to completing all 214 Wainwright summits. Another 3 Wainwright weekends have been arranged this year and are open to all members who wish to join in more Red/Red+ Level walking. If you are interested then please contact John Trimble as only those members who have contacted him are emailed with the detailed arrangements.
|17- 19 May
|12 -14 July
|13 -15 Sept
Walking Holidays 2019
The following holidays are scheduled for this year:
- Spring Walking Weekend 26-29 April: Alnmouth, Northumberland
By the time you read this, 37 members hopefully will have enjoyed a lovely break – great coastal walks, scenery and (perhaps) weather
- Summer Holiday 22 – 29 June: Schenna, Alto Adige/Sud Tirol, Northern Italy
- Autumn Walking Weekend 4-7 October: Dolgellau, North Wales
26 members have booked. At the time of writing there is one double room and possibly one single still available. If you’re interested, please contact Sarah for more information.
Walking Holidays 2020
The following holidays are being organised for next year but specific dates haven’t yet been confirmed. Sarah will be sending out further details when she has more information:
- Winter Holiday 8-15 March: Haus Valentin, Badia, Dolomites (non OHWC )
- Spring Walking Weekend 24 – 27 April: HF Hotel Chy Morvah St Ives Cornwall
- Summer Holiday 6-13 June: Hotel Splendid, Annecy, French Alps
- Autumn Walking Weekend 25 – 28 September: HF Hotel Newfield Hall, Malhamdale
Walk Leader Training
Some of our Walk Leaders are undertaking further training this year; Pauline and Steve were recently successful in passing the Gold NNAS assessment and are well on their way to becoming Red level walk leaders. Jan and Neville hope to do the Silver NNAS training and assessment in the next few months to qualify to lead Blue level walks. Congratulations and many thanks to all those undertaking walk leader training – we all benefit from their commitment and expertise. If you too would like to become a leader and develop your map reading skills then please speak to Pauline. The training is provided and lots of help and support given.
Charity Walk and BBQ: July 21
Date for your diary! Margaret and Dennis Barwise have kindly offered host the BBQ this year. More details to follow.
Christmas Get-together: December 2019
Following discussions at the AGM about the meal at Willington Hall in January it’s been decided to revert back to a social get-together pre-Christmas this year. The feeling seems to be that meeting in January lacks the seasonal atmosphere of a gathering in December…no decorations, crackers, hats etc to put us in the festive mood! So this year we’re looking at an early December date (before the overwhelming craziness of Christmas), possibly at a different venue. I’ll keep you posted as details are confirmed.
GDPR Policy Update
This year, we’re using a more streamlined opt-out system that simply asks you to email me if you wish to be taken off the list. Please see my covering email for details.
On behalf of the Committee,
Best wishes to you all and here’s to some wonderful Spring and early Summer walking!