Review the kit list to ensure you are properly equipped. It is essential that you have the correct and sufficient equipment to deal with the range of weather conditions that you may encounter and with any potential incidents that may arise – for example the walk having to halt in a remote cold area because of illness.
Covid-19: Carry your own hand sanitiser. In case of an emergency ensure you have with you a face mask and first aid pack.
With the exception of the most basic Green and Blue walks during the summer months, it is recommended that for both Red and Blue walks the following is worn or carried in your rucksack:
- Waterproofs – Top and leggings
- Walking boots & socks – Either a 3 or 4 season variety of boot
- Spare clothing – Warm top or fleece
- Rucksack liner – Strong plastic bag or purpose made liner
- Spare socks – Can double up as mittens if required
- Food – Plus additional emergency snack
- Liquid, hot drink – Carry sufficient liquid to remain hydrated
- Head cover & gloves – Plus, if the main pair get wet, spare gloves
- Whistle – Emergency: 6 blows, 1 min silence, repeat
- Survival bag or bothy bag – Plastic orange survival bag or lightweight shelter
- Sun hats, sun cream, lip salve – Sunburn and windburn are hazards in summer
- Personal aid kit – For example, blister kit, personal medication
- Head/hand torch – Regularly check batteries
You are personally responsible for equipping yourself with, as a minimum, the above recommended equipment. To ensure you are properly equipped you should check the latest weather forecast for expected conditions, remembering conditions can quickly change in hilly and mountain areas.
Even for green walks, we recommend that a minimum of a waterproof top and sufficient drinks should be carried.
Check the weight of your rucksack to ensure it is not too heavy with unnecessary items.
In addition to the above, the Walk Leader will carry at his/her discretion any of the following considered appropriate for this walk:
- Survival Shelter
- Basic First Aid Kit
- Relevant Map(s) & Compass
- WalkieTalkie Set
- Mobile phone